Late-night antics, superhero trailers, quirky science explainers captivate Canadians
From a blockbuster Star Wars trailer to the latest dance craze sweeping North America, from belly-busting late-night skits to attention-grabbing scientific explanations, Canadians stayed glued to YouTube videos once again in 2015.
The video-sharing site unveiled on Wednesday morning YouTube Rewind 2015, its annual tally of the online video content that captivated Canadians in the past year.
The list shows that when it comes to online videos, entertainment rules but a bit of education — wrapped in a cheeky and fun package — can captivate as well.
2015’s top 10 trending YouTube videos in Canada were:
Ubiquitous pop star Taylor Swift can be proud of her wide-ranging influence. The U.S. singer was tied to several of the top 10 entries. She made the list with her own star-studded music video for Bad Blood, but her songs also inspired a parody track/Blue Jays homage as well as a memorable dashcam video capturing a lip-syncing police officer.
YouTube also broke down the most-watched videos into different categories.
2015’s top 10 trending music videos in Canada were:
- See You Again ft. Charlie Puth [Official Video] Furious 7Soundtrack by Wiz Khalifa
- Sugar by Maroon 5
- Lean On (feat. MØ) (Official Music Video) by Major Lazer
- Love Me Like You Do (Official Video) by Ellie Goulding
- Bad Blood ft. Kendrick Lamar by Taylor Swift
- Hello by Adele
- Elastic Heart feat. Shia LaBeouf & Maddie Ziegler (Official Video) by Sia
- Watch Me (Whip/Nae Nae) (Official) by Silentó
- The Hills by The Weeknd
- What Do You Mean? by Justin Bieber
Unsurprisingly, late-night hosts dominated the comedy video category, with Jimmy Fallon leading the pack.
2015’s top 10 trending comedy videos in Canada were:
- Lip Sync Battle with Will Ferrell, Kevin Hart and Jimmy Fallonby The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Wheel of Musical Impressions with Christina Aguilera by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Justin Bieber Carpool Karaoke by The Late Late Show with James Corden
- Mean Tweets – President Obama Edition by Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Jimmy Fallon Went to Bayside High with “Saved By The Bell” Cast by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Jimmy Fallon Blew a Chance to Date Nicole Kidman by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Mean Tweets – Music Edition #2 by Jimmy Kimmel Live
- Ariana Grande Does a Spot-On Celine Dion Impression by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- “Ew!” with Ariana Grande by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
- Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Canadian Election (HBO)by LastWeekTonight
Meanwhile, the audience’s appetite for fantastical films remains unabated, as shown by the strength of movie trailers for Star Wars and superheroes.
2015’s top 10 trending trailer videos in Canada were:
- The Force Awakens Trailer (Official) by Star Wars
- Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice – Comic-Con Trailer byWarner Bros. Pictures
- Disney’s Frozen Fever Trailer by Walt Disney Animation Studios
- New Avengers Trailer Arrives – Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron Trailer 2 by Marvel Entertainment
- Ted 2 – Official Trailer by Universal Pictures
- Minions Official Trailer #2 (2015) – Despicable Me Prequel byMovieclips Trailers
- Star Wars Battlefront Reveal Trailer by EAStarWars
- Fallout 4 – Official Trailer by Bethesda Softworks
- Way Too Wonderland Official Trailer by Ever After High
- Narcos – MyName – 15Sec – 1920×1080 – EN – POST byNewonNetflix